Dysfluency (Stammering)

Stammering (also called stuttering or dysfluency) can be characterised by repetitions of sounds, syllables, part-words, whole words, or phrases.

Speech and Language Therapists offer support to children and young people from birth to 18 years where communication difficulties are impacting on their ability to fully participate in daily life.

Guidance and helpful information

Please check out the toolkits below for help and advice as to how you can help your child while you are waiting for an appointment.

Take a look at the toolkit appropriate to your child’s age below. You can use the strategies to support your child while you are waiting for an appointment.

If your health or educational professional has made any recommendations about activities and strategies you can try with your child while you are waiting, it is important that you keep these going.

How can we help?

Speech and Language Therapists will work with you to identify your child’s stammering behaviours, helping you both to understand them and make changes to help. We work to maximise your child’s ability to communicate effectively in the situations they need to.

We will ask you to complete a questionnaire to describe your child’s stammer and the level of difficulty they are experiencing. Please complete this as fully as you can as the information we get enables us to advise you and recommend an appropriate course of intervention.

What happens next?

Once the request for service has been accepted, you will be notified and sent an appointment. We try and see all children and young people within 18 weeks of acceptance onto the waiting list. Where this is not possible, we will contact you and advise what the anticipated time frame for assessment will be. You can contact the SPA on 0330 024 5321 for support and assistance at any time while you are waiting.

Self referral

You can now self-refer your child into this service. For more information please view this guide on how to self refer.

For details of what the service supports and what supporting documentation you require for your referral, please view the request criteria page.

What is the process?

Who you might see

A Speech and Language Therapist
A Speech and Language Therapy Assistant


We work from a variety of locations around the county, and if a request for service is accepted we will offer you and your child an appointment at the venue closest/most appropriate for you. This might be a local clinic, your child’s school, nursery or children’s centre, and might in some cases be your home.


Children and Family Health Devon
Single Point of Access Team
1a Capital Court
Bittern Road
Sowton Industrial Estate
Exeter EX2 7FW

t: 0330 0245 321