Need urgent help?

Requesting help from CFHD

Anyone aged under 18 who lives in Devon (excluding Plymouth) can get specialist care from CFHD. To get help from CFHD you will need a referral. A referral is the way to ask to see an NHS specialist. 

If you need urgent help there are lots of places that offer instant access support over the phone, by text or online. 

Who can make a referral

Watch this video to find out who can get help from CFHD.

Or you can listen instead.

CFHD accepts referrals from: 

Usually, you don’t have to go to your regular doctor (GP) to ask for help from CFHD. The only time you might need to see your GP is if your child needs physiotherapy support. In that case, you’ll have to ask your GP or paediatrician to send a request to CFHD for you.

How to make a referral yourself

To make a referral you will need to download and fill in one or more forms and answer questions about what you need help with. Your answers will give our clinical specialists the essential information they need. 

It helps if you can give us as much detailed information as possible, such as:

You may need to share information from a doctor, nurse, other healthcare professional, or school SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator). 

Before filling in the referral form

Allow yourself plenty of time to answer all the questions.

You might find it helpful to gather all the information you’ll need before you start. This includes:

It also helps if you know the child or young person’s NHS number. If you don’t know it, you can use the Find your NHS number tool.

You may also need to: