Who can request an Autism Spectrum Assessment?
- Young person aged 16+ years
- Parent or carer with ‘Parental Responsibility’ for the child
- Professional, E.g. GP, School and or education professional, Paediatrician, Social Care professional with consent from someone who has ‘parental responsibility ‘ for the child
How to request an Autism Spectrum Assessment?
Not all children and young people who present with some of the signs and symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder will fulfil the diagnostic criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Parents and carers in Devon do not need a diagnosis for their child to access help and support in meeting their child’s needs. Additional help, advice and guidance will be available with or without a diagnosis.
If you would like to request that a child or young person undergoes a diagnostic assessment for Autism Spectrum Disorder, please provide the following:
- Completed Request for help Form
- Completed Parent or Carer questionnaire
- Completed Young Person’s Questionnaire (for young people aged 14+)
- Consent for Assessment Form (signed by Young Person if 16+)
- For young people 13 years+ Medical background information sheet
- Completed School Questionnaire
- Team Around the Family (TAF) report / minutes (if available), or other needs assessment
It is helpful for children undergoing diagnostic assessment for ASD, that there has been a holistic assessment of their communication and interaction, physical and sensory, emotional / mental health, cognition and learning needs in accordance with the Devon Graduated Response.
- A professional’s report concerning the child’s presentation (if available)This can be provided by a professional from any service, for example CFHD, Paediatrics, Educational Psychology, Social Care or a GP.
If you do not have existing professional involvement please submit your request for help.
N.B If your child has undergone a neuro-developmental assessment by a Paediatrician, please ensure the assessment report is provided. This can replace the need for the completed school questionnaire to be sent with the referral.
If your child or young person has accessed additional support to manage their needs which potentially relate to Autism Spectrum Disorder, please can you include that within your request for help. It would be helpful to know, what was provided, by whom, and the outcome for the child or young person of this support.
Please let us know on the Request for Help form if your child or young person is home schooled.
If the child or young person has been excluded from school, the School Questionnaire should be completed by the previous school. If this is not possible, please let us know on the Request for Help Form.
We ask for this information so that we can support your child or young person in the most appropriate way and you and your family can get access to the right advice and support, at the right time, in the right way.
If you cannot arrange for the school or professionals’ questionnaires to be completed, please get in touch with the team via the:
Single Point of Access (SPA)
Tel: 0330 024 5321