Referral Criteria – Dysphagia (Feeding and Swallowing)
Speech and Language Therapists will see babies, infants and children who have eating, drinking and/or swallowing problems . This might be as a result of being premature, or because of physical or mechanical feeding difficulties.
Conditions in scope
We will see babies and children who:
- Are at risk of aspirating e.g. food or drink going down the wrong way into their lungs
- Who have a history of repeated chest infections/pneumonia which is caused by swallowing difficulties
- Are preterm or a baby with a neurological problem/medical condition associated with feeding difficulties e.g. Down’s Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy
- Are being weaned off a feeding tube
- Have a tracheostomy tube
- Have problems with food and drink when it is in their mouth or throat
SLTs do not provide a service to children or young people who:
- Present with feeding difficulties as a result of an Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Have just sensory and/or behavioural issues affecting their eating and drinking
- Are ‘fussy’ eaters
- Refuse to eat lumpy/chewy foods
- Generally refuse to eat
Please review the list below and ensure that you have the appropriate documentation available to submit with your request – items in bold are mandatory (by age appropriateness)
- Completed Request for Services Form (to be completed by requester)
- Completed Devon ICS Information Sharing Consent Form (to be completed by parent/carer/young person)
- Completed Dysphagia Referral Form if appropriate
- Completed Dysphagia Re-referral Form if appropriate
Please also see the Speech and Language Therapy Request Criteria page.
If you are concerned about a child or young person who is experiencing feeding or swallowing difficulties please contact: Emer Scanlon IMMEDIATELY on:
t: 07805 812278
Once the request for service has been accepted, you will be notified and sent an appointment.
URGENT requests will be seen as follows:
Inpatient referrals – within 2 working days
Outpatient referrals – within 5 working days
NON URGENT requests will be seen as follows:
Inpatient referrals – within 5 working days
Outpatient referrals – within 1 month
We see children as inpatients on the Neonatal Unit and Bramble Ward at the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital, at Honeylands Specialist Children’s Assessment Centre and at home or in nursery or school. We also see children at the Videofluoroscopy (swallow x-ray) X-Ray department at the RD&E Hospital.
t: 01392 208 545 / 07805 812 278