Referral Criteria – Hand Skills
The children’s Occupational Therapy service specialises in working with children and young people from birth to 18 years. We support children and young people with physical, sensory, developmental, cognitive and social needs that affect their functional abilities and impact on their daily life.
Our service is available for children and young people who meet our criteria. It is delivered in clinics, family homes, preschool and school settings.
Conditions in scope
A child or young person must be demonstrating a cluster (2 or more) of functional difficulties such as self-care, school work, accessing play and leisure that are impacting significantly on their daily life. A request may be accepted where the child or young person does not exhibit a cluster of functional difficulties where the local authority have a statutory duty to assess. For example, to support a Disabled Facilities Grant Application.
We are not the only provider of Occupational Therapy services in Devon and we do not provide services for:
- Children and young people who present with primary emotional and behavioural difficulties not related to any underlying motor dysfunction;
- Children and young people with Dyslexia;
- Children and young people who require Specialist Acquired Brain Injury Services
- When a housing need is as a result of overcrowding not disability
Referrals for children and young people with generalised developmental delay will only be accepted if their physical and sensory functioning is significantly more delayed than their intellectual functioning.
Partnership with parents/carer(s)
Working in partnership with parents/carer(s) is a pivotal element of the Occupational Therapy process. We will not accept requests for service if parents choose not to engage with early advice and information that we provide them with.
We are not commissioned to support some functional difficulties in specific locations and other providers of Occupational Therapy provide NHS services in these cases.
Eastern / Exeter
- DCD/Dyspraxia (Provided by Vranch House Therapy Services)
South / West Devon
- Chronic fatigue
- Developmental Co-ordination Disorder (DCD)/Dyspraxia