Requesting an Assessment
The Autism Assessment Service Team provide formal assessments for Autism Spectrum Condition.
We see children and young people between the ages of 5 and 18 who are registered with a GP in Devon.
Requesting a formal assessment for Autism Spectrum Condition
We accept referrals from:
- Parents or carers with Parental Responsibility for the child or young person
- Health Professionals such as GPs, Paediatricians, Speech and Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists and CAMHS clinicians
- Education Professionals such as SENCOs, Headteachers, Educational Psychologists
- Social Care Professionals with consent from someone who has ‘Parental Responsibility‘ for the child or young person
- We also accept self-referrals from young people aged 16 to 17 years 6 months. Young people over the age of 17 years and 6 months should visit the Devon Adult Autism and ADHD Service (DAANA).
Before requesting a referral, please read our Referral Guide.
Parents and carers in Devon do not need a diagnosis for their child to access help and support in meeting their child’s needs. Additional help, advice and guidance will be available with or without a diagnosis.
If you would like to request that a child or young person undergoes a diagnostic assessment for Autism Spectrum Disorder, please provide the following (click the links below to download):
- Completed Request for Help Form
- Completed Consent for Assessment Form – Parent / carer to complete if young person is under 16 years old or young person to complete and sign if 16 and over
- Completed Form B Parent or Carer Questionnaire
- Completed Form C School Questionnaire
- Completed Young Person’s Questionnaire (for young people aged 14+)
- A medical background information sheet (for young people aged 13+)
- Any Team Around the Family (TAF) reports / minutes (if available), or other reports from any other Health or Education service, for example Paediatrics, Educational Psychology, Social Care or a GP.
If the child or young person is home educated or has been excluded from school, the School Questionnaire should be completed by a previous school or a practitioner (e.g. Home Ed group leader) who knows the child well. If this is not possible, please let us know on the Request for Help Form.
Required for Assessment Appointment ONLY
Children and Family Health Devon
Single Point of Access Team
1a Capital Court
Sowton Industrial Estate
Exeter EX2 7FW
t: 0330 0245 321